Wednesday, October 26, 2011

“Hurry up and WAIT!!”

There are times when I think I have mastered the science of patience, but then something comes up and I realize that I have a long way to go.

Right now, I am waiting to see if I will be able to leave Bangkok for my province (Khon Kaen, where I will be teaching for the next 11 months) on October 31st (but the flood might interfere with our plans).

I am waiting to see whether my neighborhood in Bangkok will be affected by the flood.

I am waiting to start my life in Thailand. Yes, I am living in Bangkok and enjoying it’s attractions, cuisine, and night life but I want to create my home and start teaching. Last night, a couple of the Fulbrighters and I visited an American Sports bar and watched the Ravens vs. Jags game (Ravens lost, booo! I love Baltimore!). While on the cab ride to Sports Corner, I mentioned that it feels like I don’t have a life in Thailand. Soon after, I began to analyze my statement. It feels like I am in this extended transitional period. SIDE NOTE: Before coming to Thailand, I spent a month in Los Angeles, CA while transitioning my life in Baltimore, MD to Khon Kaen, Thailand. The universe must be telling me that I need a hefty transition period...?

I am waiting to know what life is like for Glenda in Thailand/Southeast Asia. Then I remember a saying I heard in passing: “Life is what happens when you’re waiting.” And I believe it’s true; sometimes it's hard to practice what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment